Two Years Post Op


It's an incredible moment realizing how dramatically my life changed two years ago. Double jaw surgery is not for the faint of heart. It is a warrior that steps onto this path and gets to this place of healing. I celebrated this year, by checking off another bucket list adventure. I have lived in Utah my entire life, yet somehow, getting to the slot canyons has eluded me for 43 years. I have always wanted to take my camera and capture the magic that I have seen and heard of, but never taken into my own bones as a memory. It was over spring break that we headed to Escalante Utah, home of some astounding narrows. I hired an expedition guide to take us somewhere magical. My son Connor, injured his shoulder, and wasn't able to do the more adventurous canyoneering tour, so we had to down  grade our day just a titch.  I didn't realize that repelling down the face of a cliff was part of the journey, but I did some deep digging finding the courage to be brave and try something new. I figured If I could throw my body out of an airplane at 13,000 feet strapped to a man, I could certainly throw the same body off of a red rock cliff strapped to a shrub bush, (and a man as well). It was an adrenaline rush, and so much fun that I double dipped and did it twice!!  
Life after jaw surgery does return to normal. It takes longer for some than others, but my status 2 years later looks like this: 
I wear my retainer every single night!! (teeth do still move don't mess it up by being lazy)
I have 100% feeling on the outside of my face.
My upper gums feel a little bit numb, not all the way not really even a bother.
There is a little spot on the side of my tongue that goes numb from time to time. I know that if I wear the retainer, the numbness goes away. It's not an all the time situation, more random.
My bite is strait, I love my smile, I can chew my food, my joints no longer hurt. I am so happy that I chose this surgery, and all of the misery that came with it. It reminds  me over and over again, that our greatest learnings and accomplishments in life may just be buried deep in a muck that we must wade through with courage and surrender. We sometimes have to take a risk, take a chance, and trust that we will grow more than we thought possible. To those of you just starting, in the middle of, or recovering from this process, remain hopeful, and as positive as you can. Remember that there is light that sometimes can only shine through the rough cracks. Know that you are stronger than you know!  God bless you all, and heres to 2 years post op!!


No comments:

Post a Comment