Sending a blog post to heaven, Happy Birthday Mom!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!
YOU WOULD BE 65 TODAY.
If we could only send a blog post to heaven, wouldn't it be grand? I was thinking, You have been gone for 36 years, this November. That means that you have missed 36 of my birthdays. I have celebrated 36 years as a motherless daughter. About 20 years ago, I set aside time on my own birthday to honor you. I realized that my birthday was your BIRTH-DAY. It was a joyous moment every time that you gave birth to one of your 5 children. It occurred to me that birthdays should be as much of an honoring of the mother as the child right? Well, that may not work for everyone, but for me it became a tradition. Every year that my children have a birthday, I tell them their BIRTH story. I go over every minute of the time that led up to their birth. I wish I knew my birth story from you. Dad tried to explain it but you know how he is. (A little sketchy on details.) 
I was giving more thought to your birthday, and remembered how incredibly you always celebrated our birthday's. You made a 3 layer round chocolate cake, covered in home made chocolate frosting. Then you topped it with those sugar cake letters, and a candle for every year. You had a white milk glass cake plate that proudly displayed your art, your over the top, celebration of your babies!  I did a rough calculation, and realized that you baked 22 cakes in your 8 years of motherhood. It's crazy to think that you only had 8 years with your children.

So then Im wondering why a cake and candles? Where did it originate? I found this explanation, and  loved it. 

"The tradition of placing candles on birthday cake is attributed to early Greek, who used to place lit candles on cakes to make them glow like the moon. Greeks used to take the cake to the temple of Artemis. Some say that candles were placed on the cake because people believed that the smoke of the candle carried their prayers to gods. Others believe that the custom originated in Germany where people used to place a large candle in the centre of the cake to symbolize ‘the light of life."


(It all started here, on this day. 5 babies would make up your legacy)

Isn't that the best! I am not the worlds best baker. Im not sure I could manage a 3 layered cake. But today in honor of you, I am going to buy the best cupcake I can find, and blow out a candle. When I send that smoke to heaven, it will be infused with my prayers of love and gratitude for you! Thank you Mom for surviving your birth. You were not supposed to make it. 3 months early. You were 1 pound 3 ounces of fierce survival instincts, packed into a tiny body the size of a soda can.  Thank you for giving birth to me, and my 4 siblings. We are all miracles of you! Thank you for celebrating us and making us feel special. I found old photos of each child with their special cake. Im so glad we have them. 


 This is the FIRST cake! Me on my first birthday. It brings a tear. You loved me so much, for that I feel so blessed.

Celebrating my first birthday in our brand new house that Dad built. This is before the sample patchwork carpet went in. Im in love.  Did Dad buy me my first football? 


I have a memory of this cake. On my 2nd birthday, you were in the hospital delivering my brother. From this day forward, we would always share a birthday, and you would make 2 special cakes.





Mikel with his cake. He wants to rip into it. I love seeing the old patchwork carpet samples. We used to play games, hopping from color to color. 


Curtis enjoying his birthday cake outside in the driveway. Dang it I wish we had that cake platter!!


Lane also gets to have his cake outside. Maybe it was less messy? 


Tami, your baby turning one. As I look at this cake, I realize that it's the only one you were able to make for her. You died only 8 months later.  I know that Tami will cherish this photo. You were able to give all 5 children a special cake. Thank you MOM!! 









So Mom I honor you today!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  My inspiration is to bake a 3 tier cake for my first born child in July. Ill let you know how it goes, and I will take pictures. Ill send another blog post to heaven!! 











3 comments:

  1. Lots of memories of you kids and your home looking at these pictures! I even remember riding that hippity hop! Make's me homesick for my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet. Your mother sounds like such a beautiful and loving woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful honoring and sharing. I love you.

    ReplyDelete