I love you...I hate you...


I love you...I hate you... Meet my pink fairy dust sparkle retainer. We struggled in the beginning. The right side of this lovely appliance, was too thick, making a very ouchie sore on the roof of my mouth. It took multiple grindings to adjust it's comfort.  These retainers are really kind of gross.  It needs to be brushed at the very least, 2 times a day and it goes in a little pouch for time out during my meals. I find myself creating a very strong suction when wearing it. Doing so causes dry mouth, so I drink a lot of extra water every day. I would actually consider this a benefit!  As hard as I try, I just can't get my "S's" perfected. There is always a slight lisp. So if I am involved in a deep conversation, I have to give my little friend a break. Like any nagging or annoying thing that finds it's way into my life, I try to offer gratitude. After all, this appliance keeps my knashers nice and strait. Im so very lucky to have a permanent retainer on my bottom teeth. So I raise my glass to my new life long companion. Im sure we will have good days and bad days, but in the end... I really do love you little retainer!! You may need a name... Hmmm...


Im nearing my 1 year post op anniversary. I have loved every minute of my life out of braces, with surgery behind me. I can smile like this all day long!!

8 comments:

  1. You look so awesome, Tresa! Bummer they didn't give you a clear plastic retainer! It still gets gross, but less likely to cause discomfort, and you can barely see it! Maybe you could ask your ortho about one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, I may have to have a new one made, if so i will get the clear one. They discouraged me from choosing it because they said it stains and gets gross. But i would imagine with good cleaning it would be less of a problem. Hope all is well for you in California!! Great to hear from you!

      Delete
  2. You do look amazing! I just got my braces off last week and I feel like I look at my new smile in anything reflective that I can find. And I know how you feel about those S's with the retainers. I have a top and bottom clear retainer so you can't see it (which is great) but those S's are still mighty tricky!
    Your smile is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, Congratulations!! I think I should have consulted all of you on the type of retainer to choose. My bottom retainer is a permanent wire glued to the back of my teeth. It's nice to only have the upper one to deal with. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Tresa, you are (as usual) gorgeous! I know how much of a pain the rear those retainers can be.... I'm glad you are doing well.

    Cece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cece, So great to hear from you!! Hope you are well. Life after surgery carries on and I miss hearing from my blogging friends. Sending you blessings!!!

      Delete
  4. Sorry you are still troubled by jaw related things. It's unfortunate to still have lagging and nagging issues. Seems to come with the territory though from many of the blogs I've read. I'm prepared for the worst and hoping for the best!
    Hope that nasty little retainer gets whipped into shape finally!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you and your smile are so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete