My Naked Teeth! 21 months from start to finish!!





And that much anticipated day arrived. I sat in the dental chair smiling for the very last time wearing braces. My daughter came to photograph this event, and my husband thought I was at a routine appointment. I planned to surprise him with my de-braced face! It was much like opening a present. Taking off layers to get to the gift underneath all of the wrappings.  Layer 1 required removal of the chain, ties, and arch wire.  Layer 2... bring on the pliers. The crunching and snapping of the porcelain brackets, removing them one by one. As I  ran my tongue across the surface of my teeth, it felt bumpy from the chunks of glue, but for the first time I had a glimpse of my naked teeth without braces. Layer 3 bring on the sander. One tooth at a time was sanded and polished to a smooth perfection. This was the worst part. The friction from the sander with the cold air blowing caused pain on some teeth, but I have survived worse..Seriously,  followed with a polish, it was time. I made my way to the sink to rinse my mouth and look into the mirror for the first time, with a strait jaw, and teeth stacked in a perfect row.

Paraphernalia, that once held together, a sawed and broken jaw, and straitened my teeth.






And the moment that I saw the gift, unwrapped for the first time.




It was overwhelming, I really look so different than I ever imagined.  21 months later, I am transformed. I have been to hell, disfigured, sawed apart, screwed together, numb, swollen, banded shut, liquid diet, and now that is all behind me. I am stronger than I thought, and have truly come out on the other side, so grateful that I journeyed down this road! 

The only obstacle to overcome now, is the infamous retainer. I have a lovely lisp, that I hope to perfect with pracith. I with you all a merry christhmath and hope that thoon i will thspeak without a lisp. Even with this problem, I still am grateful to be on this end of it all, and can remove it to eat and have a conversation minus the lisp.
Cheers to all!! 



9 comments:

  1. Tresa...My GOODNESS! You are absolutely beautiful. Congrats on the "end" of your journey. May you have a fabulous 2012. Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Tresa! Your smile is beautiful!! You are beautiful! You must be so thrilled to be putting this chapter of your life behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!! Your done!! You've survived the whole journey, and clearly its transformed you in wonderful ways, thank you for your blog it keeps me centered and reminds me there is an end to all of this, be patient, be accepting, good things hopefully will come. I hope you'll follow me as I just started my journey about a month ago so if you have any great advice for someone at the beginning I'd love to hear it. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look absolutely BEAUTIFUL :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Tresa! You look amazing and you truly deserve this! I bet your husband feel over when he saw his beautiful woman walk in the door!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your constant support and encouragement. Big hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations and well done keeping your teeth so clean!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are just beaming! What a beautiful smile. Congrats on making it to the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Congratulations Tresa!!! You look so awesome. It's been a looooong journey to say the least, but you've done it! You're bite and your teeth look fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing such a personal experience with all of us, it is really appreciated. Now go show the world your awesome new smile!!!

    ReplyDelete