The eve of my summit!!


The Eve of my summit! Fitting that if falls on the winter solstice, the darkest day of the year. With clear skies, in the forecast, I reach my summit on a day when the light grows each day as we welcome a new year, and new adventures!


"Though this universe I own I possess not a thing, for I cannot know the unknown if to the known I cling."


A quote shared with me by Linda Thatcher.   She was a pivotal role model and mother figure in my teenage years.  She opened her home and her heart to a lost and wayward young girl, and bestowed upon me many life lessons that helped me to navigate my own journey, (which was not located on any map!) I honor you sweet matriarch. The pebble of love that you gave me, has caused a ripple effect touching many lives. It has changed the future in ways you could never imagine. I love you, and honor the strong foundation that you have helped to cement under many lovely feet!


The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

 
~ Rumi ~

I opened my blog with this tried and true favorite.  Every time I read it, it has a new meaning.  My jaw surgery journey has come with many undesirable guests. I have opened my door to each pain and sorrow, discomfort and fear.  I have searched for the deeper meanings, as I have journeyed into the unknown.  Today is the eve of this journeys end. I am full of wonder-lust as I anticipate my appointment tomorrow.  There is a stirring of anxiety in my belly, as I wait for the removal of my braces. 

Today is the last day of gnarled food wrapped around brackets. The last day of mouth ulcers from pointy and poky brackets and wires. The last day that my upper lip will get caught on a bracket when I try to speak. Today is the last day!  There is really never a "last" day though. It's rather the summit of this hike.  As I reach that summit, I will breathe in all of the joy and beauty that it offers, burning into my soul the great success, that the sorrows have given. Then, I will continue. The journey never really ends. It only continues, taking us on new adventures. What will this girl with a new jaw, and strait teeth do next?  I can't wait to find out! I will speak my truth and share my stories. That is something that is my souls calling. Where will it take me? Stay tuned....

So.... I wait. The final countdown is only hours away. (big sigh...) 




2 comments:

  1. Tresa..Happy De-bracing Eve! I am happy that his chapter of your life is coming to end...no doubt with bigger and better things to replace it in 2012. It's been a pleasure "meeting" you on my journey. You have a kind and positive spirit that is much need on this road. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww I love your posts, and the fact you quoted Rumi makes my heart melt !! Hooray for the debracing I share your joy and Im glad your finally at the end of your journey :)
    I just started my blog and if you will be on her occasionally follow me :)
    metal and mascara on blogspot :)

    ReplyDelete