The mythical story of Dorothy courage to go home.. 7 weeks post OP

I went to the Orthodontist again today. He has me wearing a rubber band on my left side. Its to keep my bite in place. The muscles have been trained for 41 years to pull to the right and without a crutch so to speak, my bite wants to return to the old familiar ways. He put the chain back on the top teeth hoping to pull together the gaps that are forming. Hopefully the rubber band will keep my bite on track this time.  The dental assistant put regular ties on before the Ortho checked my mouth. It hurt so bad this time. I think my teeth are waking up if thats possible. I broke into a sweat as she was cranking the ties on. Then, my Dr. had her do a chain so we had to start over. With one tooth left to chain, it broke and so I had to endure the pain one last time.  I will see him again in 2 weeks and he will put on an arch wire that narrows my upper jaw.  They were concerned that I would need the upper jaw split because it wouldn't be wide enough. Turns out it is too wide and now has to be moved the other direction. BLAHHH...



I was a tiny bit discouraged today.  Im at 7 weeks post OP today, and my mouth hurts! The Ortho work still has a way's to go and I wonder if I will ever reach the emerald city. I wish I could lay in a field of poppies and sleep.




 I feel like Dorothy, just wanting to  go home. My journey is full of characters like the wicked witch of the west who is for sure the braces, ties, wires, surgery, drugs, rubber bands posing as sea otters, and a numb chin. I've met amazing people along the way who have been there to help and support every step that the ruby slippers have taken. I have had to learn "COURAGE" at a whole new level. Open my "HEART" to receive service. And "BRAINS" that have researched and learned a whole new level of procedure and skills to cope.  I have 2 Wizards in my emerald city. My surgeon who broke my face and put it back together, and my Orthodontist who is making the painful adjustments that will someday send me "HOME" with a perfect bite and teeth so nice that I will want to wear a permanent smile.  And on that note, I still have more journey time ahead before I can click my heels together. So I will again re-post my favorite poem by Rumi.. Enjoy..


The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

~ Rumi ~







1 comment:

  1. Great poem! You are almost there, girl! All my numbess is gone in my cheeks and I just have a tight mouth, numbness on left side of top and bottom lip, and numbness of left side of chin. My chin is still firing off pins and needles. My bf asked me how I felt this morning and I scowled at him, ha ha! These last bits of numbness are annoying, for sure!

    ReplyDelete