Chipotle saved the day 17 days Post Op


One of my favorite places to eat. The ingredients are organic, fresh and delish!! I knew that i would miss this the most following my jaw surgery.  My appetite went on vacation the minute they knocked me out. I eat because I have to not because I feel hungry.  Eating or rather drinking food through  a turkey baster with a rubber hose attachment, and then trying to figure out what food can be pulverized and mashed into mush, has really turned off my desire for food.  There is a psychological element that involves chewing food to discover the fusion of flavors and palate pleasing textures. I never fully appreciated the basic function of chewing food.. Yesterday, something new was happening, a familiar stirring that got my attention. A craving!! I wanted Chipotle BAD! My daughter and friend Becca said why not, how could we make it work? I can eat rice, smash the black beans, guacamole is already pulverized, add cilantro and salsa, and I may have a real meal to contend with.. I almost couldn't wait for her to get back with that little brown bag.. First time in almost 3 weeks that food sounded good. 

It was a simple version, and it took me almost 45 min. to eat, but I have never been so delighted! I almost cried. This was not perfect because I still can't chew, but oh my how delightful this little combo of flavors made me smile.  Yay for Chipotle... My best day so far!! 

I can be a big talker and cocky about my strength but seriously this surgery has kicked my butt. I delivered 3 babies all natural with no pain meds or epidurals, and 2 of them actually required pitocin which intensifies the contractions. All three births combined don't hold a candle to this jaw surgery.. I have never been down and out for so long. It is truly baby steps that are taken every day with such small improvement. The recovery is long. I knew going in that It would be rough, but sitting in the middle is a little bit more challenging than I could have anticipated. I am miles and miles ahead of where I was 2 weeks ago... but looking forward, the light is still dim and distant. Im not discouraged, just impatient.  

4 comments:

  1. I am jealous! Haven't you seen your doc yet? I am under the imoression I will feel better on monday when he clears my sinuses and puts on thinner rubberbands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question for you. Are you still using the anti-nausea patches? I had one put on wed morning but i'm noticing difficulty seeing so I just took it off. Will I be having side effects now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, sweetie, The nausea patch was the only thing that gave me relief from nausea caused by pain meds. The only down side is that if you touch the patch and then touch your eyes they will dilate. This happened to me and So i also took it off but the nausea returned so I had to put it back on. As long as you wear it your eyes will be dilated, if you took it off and leave it off your eyes will return to normal in a couple of days. reading glasses help you to see up close in the meantime. I have been to my Dr. 3 times. He didn't clear my nose, I did it before with Q-tips. You cant blow your nose. He has me in rubber bands, and they are still just as tight. It's so uncomfortable to wear them all day. Im allowed to remove them 3 times a day for 1 hour to eat. If your Dr. is like mine, he will put you on soft mushy food after your first week. Its difficult to eat because the opening of the mouth is so small, thats when i discovered the flat zoo pet knifes. or any thing flat. I just went 24 hours without pain meds.. im now on tylenol and ibuprofen. Ive struggled with nerve pain where there is numbness. Sounds like you have less of that to contend with which is so great!! You look great.. I have been improving every day but surprised that it takes such a long time.. I go slow, rest alot and have alot of help. Any other questions just shoot me a message. hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I found your blog online and it has been such a huge support to me. I am at day 17 as well, and had upper and lower reconstruction WITH both of my joints operated on (the discs pinned in place). Thank you for your writing and this experience truly has been intense.

    ReplyDelete